EUROPEAN JOINT MASTERS IN SAFE AND RELIABLE NUCLEAR APPLICATIONS (SARENA)
This project receives financial support from the
Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA) of the European Commission
within the Erasmus Mundus programme for its editions from 2019-2022.
The SARENA master will account for 120 ECTS to be achieved during 24 months. This comprises an academic period that lasts for 3 semesters accounting for 30 ECTS each and an industrial or research project semester with a master thesis accounting for 30 ECTS.
The master offers two different tracks:
- Radioactive Waste Management and Decommissioning (RWMD)
- Nuclear Reactors Operation and Safety (NROS)
The programme including both tracks is designed with 3 complementary semesters with gradual learning:
- from broad basic nuclear sciences and engineering teaching in semester 1 (a common semester of both tracks) at IMT Atlantique - France in addition to a management module with contribution to project management, theory of organisations, organisational factors of safety and management of technology in the nuclear field, thus providing a comprehensive train taking into account both technical and management issues,
- pre-specialisation teaching in semester 2 either at UPM - Spain (Radiochemistry, Environmental Impact and Safety for track RWMD) or at LUT - Finland (Nuclear Reactors Thermal Hydraulics and Modelling for track NROS)
- to specialisation in semester 3: Radioactive Waste Management and Decommissioning at IMT Atlantique and Nuclear Reactors Operation and Safety at UL - Slovenia.
SARENA ends with a master thesis in semester 4 carried out either in a company or a research institution under the supervision of an Academic Tutor from the programme institution where the student is enrolled in and a Company Tutor/Laboratory Supervisor where the thesis takes place. The common denominator for all academic semesters is SAFETY regardless the specialisation. There is strong involvement of lecturers from the nuclear industry in the academic semesters. This helps the students to better understand industry’s needs and opportunities for master thesis work in accordance with their professional project and employment. The consortium was set up to provide the best education for nuclear sector at stake nowadays and in the future in Europe. Providing the best knowledge and competencies in each semester guarantees the education of highly skilled engineers and experts. Each institution will contribute with a semester constituting its core knowledge and competencies.
FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT THE WEBSITE
Dual dregree programme
All our students are graduates from:
1) IMT Atlantique (SARENA European Joint Masters in SAfe and REliable Nuclear Applications).
2) The second degree depends on the study track:
- Study Track A: Master of Science with a major in Radioactive Waste Management and Decommissioning (IMT Atlantique, UPM).
- Study Track B: Master of Science with a major in NuclearReactors Operation and Safety (LUT, UL).
In addition, a joint certificate of the SARENA International Master programme is issued to each student.
IMT Atlantique, France: a leading French Higher Education and Research Institution in Engineering. IMT Atlantique(Nantes Campus) is part of the Institut Mines-Telecom.
The Technical University of Madrid (UPM), Spain: the oldest andthe largest Technical University in Spain.
The Lappeenranta University of Technology (LUT), Finland: a pioneering science university in Finland, bringing together the fields of science and business since 1969.
The University of Ljubljana (UL), Slovenia: the oldest and largest higher education and scientific research institution in Slovenia. University with its rich tradition was founded in 1919.
FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT THE WEBSITE
Master on SAfe and REliable Nuclear Applications